What Can You Do?
If you want to help keep our waters clean, there are many things you can do to help. You can prevent water pollution of nearby rivers and lakes as well as groundwater and drinking water by following some simple guidelines in your everyday life.
- Conserve water by turning off the tap when running water is not necessary. This helps prevent water shortages and reduces the amount of contaminated water that needs treatment.
- Be careful about what you throw down your sink or toilet. Don’t throw paints, oils or other forms of litter down the drain.
- Use environmentally household products, such as washing powder, household cleaning agents and toiletries.
- Take great care not to overuse pesticides and fertilisers. This will prevent runoffs of the material into nearby water sources.
- By having more plants in your garden you are preventing fertiliser, pesticides and contaminated water from running off into nearby water sources.
- Don’t throw litter into rivers, lakes or oceans. Help clean up any litter you see on beaches or in rivers and lakes, make sure it is safe to collect the litter and put it in a nearby dustbin.